GET IN THE GAME!
How Sports Shape America
a Smithsonian Institution exhibit
at Stair District Library
Oct. 1 to Nov. 20, 2016
Sun., Oct. 2, 2 p.m.
Visit the Hometown Teams exhibit at the official opening! Join the Tailgate Party & enjoy lots of great refreshments! Hear distinguished speakers!
VINTAGE BASE BALL:
Sun., Oct. 9, 2 p.m.
@ Wakefield Park
Watch the Lumber City Base Ball Club of Flint play Morenci’s softball team! Free photo booth photos with props! Free food: Hotdog cart and more!
SPORTS TRIVIA NIGHT:
Tues., Oct. 18, 7 p.m.
@ Morenci Eagles Club
Test your knowledge of national and local sports and the Hometown Teams exhibit! Win prizes!
AMERICAN SPORT WITH
Thurs., Oct. 27, 7 p.m.
Listen to one of the most entertaining and engaging speakers, University of Michigan professor and project scholar Thomas Henthorn, give a rousing, intriguing talk: “American Sport: Why We Play the Games We Play.”
ART SHOW RECEPTION:
Sat., Nov. 5, 10-Noon
Meet the Morenci High School artists who created Hometown Teams artworks last school year under the direction of art teacher Kym Ries.
Thurs., Nov. 10, 7 p.m.
Enjoy the always entertaining and inspirational storyteller La’Ron Williams tell sports-related stories with thought-provoking themes.
INT’L GAMES DAY:
Sat., Nov. 19, 10-1
Play ping pong, stickball, Nok Hockey, & other sports & games at the library!
Exhibit and Library Hours:
Monday & Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday: 1 to 5 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
“Hometown Teams” at Stair District Library was made possible by a Michigan Humanities Council grant. It is part of Museum on Main Street, a collaboration between the Smithsonian Institution and state humanities councils across the country. Support for Museum on Main Street has been provided by the U.S. Congress.
NOTE: The book discussion group meets the third Monday of the month, February through November.
Who: Anyone who loves books and a good discussion.
What: Calico Joe by John Grisham
When: Monday, Oct. 17, 2016, 7 p.m.
Where: In the Annex
November selection: Dashing through the Snow.
- Every Monday at 10:30 a.m. throughout the Morenci school year.
- The program is canceled when Morenci schools are delayed or closed.
- The program is a participatory, rollicking half-hour of short stories, songs, nursery rhymes, finger plays and the like for children under two and their parents or caregiver. Pre-school age children accompanied by their parent or caregiver are welcome to attend.
- Registration is not required, but is helpful for staff planning.
- Monday, Oct. 3, 2016, and continues every Monday, 5:30-6:30 p.m., through Nov. 14 except Halloween.
- Pre-school Storytime with a twist! Everybody in the family is welcome to attend this evening program with their pre-schooler!
- The program will focus on the 3-5 year-old age group, but all family members may attend. Pre-schoolers must be accompanied by an adult.
- Registration requested to help with staff planning. Call 458-6510 or send message on Stair District Library Facebook.
TEEN BOOK & WRITERS CLUB
The group usually meets at 11:11 a.m. on the second Saturday of the month in the library annex.
Creative Construction Toys Available Daily in the Library
Play with our NEW totally cool creative construction toys whenever we're open! (Funded by Disney through a grant administered by the Association for Library Services to Children, a division of the American Library Association)
- B. Toys Bristle blocks
- Keva planks
- Blocks: architectural, unit, Haba
- 255-piece domino race set
- Sculpture in a Box
COOKIES & COLORING
Will resume in January 2017 (Every first Thursday @ 7 p.m.)
- FOR ADULTS!
- You bring the cookies; we supply the materials
- But it doesn't have to be cookies...carrots, cucumbers, cashews...anything you want to bring...or not...is fine!
- We'll supply the coloring pages and colored pencils, markers, crayons and lots of GEL PENS!
TECH TIME ON TUESDAYS
From 4 to 5 p.m. every Tuesday, staff will be available to help you with your mobile device or give computer-related instruction. Bring your questions: If we don't know the answer, we'll find someone who does!
TALK @ TWO ON THURSDAYS
Talk @ Two discussion group tackles issues from local to international, mundane to esoteric. Come talk about it!
Discussion group meets at 2 p.m. every week on Thursday in the annex.
What is your library worth to you?
Literally...how much do you save by using your library? Find out by using the "Return on Investment Calculator" in the box to the right, under the hours, or at the top left in the navigation box...last item.
A FEW LINKS...
- Work and research from the office or from home, anytime
- Book reviews, top sellers, author interviews, and news headlines